(steamed rice and lentils)
Rice - 1 cup
Yellow lentils (arhar/tuvar dal) - 1 cup
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as required
Onion (chopped) - 1, small
Garlic (chopped) - 4 to 5 cloves
Green/red chillies - 2
Cumin - ½ tsp
Dried Methi leaves (optional) - 1 tsp
Clarified butter (ghee) - 1 tbsp
· Soak rice and lentil for half an hour.
· In a pressure cooker add the soaked rice, lentil, turmeric, salt and sufficient water to cook it.
· Heat clarified butter. Add cumin .When it starts to crackle, add chopped onions. Sauté till they turn pink.
· Add chopped garlic and green/red chillies. Sauté till light brown. Switch off gas and add dried methi leaves.
· Pour on the prepared khichdi and serve.