(a fermented drink for winters)
This is a special drink made during the winters.This drink is a specialty of the state of Uttar Pradesh. This drink gives warmth to the body.It builds immunity of the body.
It will take a week for this drink to be ready , so I will add the snap of Kanji after a week.
Radish - 1 kg
Beet root - 1 kg
Carrots - 1 kg
Yellow mustard seeds (roughly ground to a paste) - ½ cup
Salt to taste
Water to fill the earthen pot (about 75% of the pot)
Earthen pot (ghara/matka)
Muslin cloth - 12 inches by 12 inches
· Chop all the vegetables into 2 inches long pieces.
· Boil the water in a large pan and add all the chopped vegetables. Simmer for two minutes.
· Now pour all the hot boiled vegetables as well as the boiled water into the earthen pot.
· Now add the mustard paste and salt. Mix thoroughly.
· Cover and tie a piece of muslin cloth at the mouth of the pot.
· Keep in sunlight for a week. Stir the mixture twice a day.
· Kanji will be ready to drink in 1 week.
· It is sour and tangy in taste.