Chick peas - ½ kg
Onions (big) - 2
Tomatoes - 3
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chillies (slit lengthwise) - 3 to 4
Bay leaves - 2
Black cardamom - 3
Green cardamom - 3
Peppercorns - 6 to 7
Garam masala pdr - 1 tsp
Dry mango pdr (amchur pdr) - 1 tsp
Black salt - 1 tsp
Red chilli pdr - as per taste
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander - 2 tbsp ,chopped
Mustard/refined oil - 2 tbsp
· Soak chhole (chick peas) overnight.
· Pressure cook the soaked chick peas along with salt and 2 black cardamom. BUT DO NOT OVERCOOK.
· Slice 1 onion in half and finely chop half a piece. Grind the rest of the onion into a paste. Grind the tomatoes also into a paste.
· In a separate pan, heat oil, add bay leaves, remaining 1 black cardamom and green cardamom. Now add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
· Add tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes .Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the masala leaves oil.
· Now dry mango pdr, red chilli pdr and garam masala pdr and mix well.
· Add all the boiled chhole (keep the water separately) in the pan and mix well for two minutes.
· Add the water in which you boiled the chhole earlier, bring to a boil then let it simmer for 10 minutes.
· Mash some of the chhole by pressing it with the back of a spatula.
· Garnish with chopped coriander and green chillies.