Carrots (peeled and grated) - 2 kg, red & big sized
Whole Milk - 1 litre
Khoya (mawa) - 200 gms (recipe given below)
Sugar - 2 cups
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Cashew nuts - 10 (soaked in hot water and slivered)
Almonds - 10 (soaked in hot water, peeled and slivered)
Saffron ( soaked in the water) - 1 pinch
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
To prepare Khoya (mawa) :
· Bring to boil, ½ liter of whole milk in a heavy bottom saucepan.
· Reduce the heat and let it simmer. Keep stirring so that milk does not stick to the base of the pan.
· As milk gets thicker stir more vigorously. The khoya is cooked when the milk is reduced to a thick, dry lump and it has stopped sizzling.
· Remove from the pan and leave it to cool. Use within fortnight.
To prepare Gajar Ka Halwa:
· Add 4 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottom sauce pan. Add grated carrots. On medium heat mix thoroughly and sauté for 10 minutes or till the carrots turn a bright orange in color.
· Add 1 liter of milk and mix thoroughly. Let it simmer (approximately 1 hour) till all the milk is absorbed in the carrots and they start to leave oil.
· Add khoya. Cook on medium heat (approximately 15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
· Add sugar. Continue to cook and stir the carrot mixture till it dries.
· Add ghee. Cook till ghee shows separately (approximately 10 minutes), stirring constantly.
· Remove from heat when still moist.
· Garnish with saffron, cardamom powder, cashew nuts and almonds. Serve hot.
· If not serving immediately, refrigerate carrot halwa and re-heat and serve whenever desired.